Pages

About Me

My photo
I am an aspiring writer living and working in Hull. I working on a novel, as well as writing short stories to keep my writing skills fresh. I decided to start a writing blog to connect with other writers. So please, take a look around and leave some comments - I'd love to read some of your writing blogs too. Nari X

Wednesday 21 September 2011

Succor Dice and Nano

It's been a busy few weeks, but in a good way. You see I finally started my new job, which I accepted in May. Having gone away to get married and go on Honeymoon, I missed the induction, so the process has been slow. But I started last week, and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it. I'm working for a company called 'Danny's Dream', which provides support to those with learning disabilities, encouraging social integration and providing person-centred care. 

The down-side is, of course, that I have less time. Less time to blog, less time to write, less time to do housework (shame). But here is what I propose on the blogging front; I will aim to spend my Sunday afternoons blogging, so I *should* have one every week. No promises though.



I hope nobody minds if I geek out a bit. No? Good. Here it comes.
So, I wanted to tell you about the 'latest thing Peter Brett has sent me'. What a genuinely lovely man. Sat on our doormat yesterday was this lovely envelope with a warded sender sticker I would recognise anywhere. 
Never has a customs label been so valuable... 
Anyway, I suppose you are more interested in what was inside the envelope. Even though that alone was enough to keep the geek in me happy for days. 

I opened the precious envelope (ok, I'm exaggerating) and what tumbled out was my entrant's prize for Peat's Cosplay contest. No teasing please, I said it was geeky... I had never done Cosplay before, but I am so taken with the Characters of The Demon Cycle books that I thought I'd give it a go. Because Peat is so lovely, he decided that everyone deserved a prize for their efforts, so sent every single entrant one of these little packages:




The Dice are called 'Succor Dice', which are part of a game featured in The Painted/Warded Man. It's to do with rolling three of the same wards, I think, though there are not any detailed rules for the game. 

So there you are, my latest Geek-out. How sweet is Mr.Brett? We are some very lucky fans. 

In Personal Writing news, I have decided to enter this year's NanoWriMo. Terrifying, but I think it'll be fun and rewarding too. I have another novel brewing away in my head, so I thought, seeing as I'm giving CQ a break for a while, I will have a go at getting it onto paper. 
It's going to need a lot of preparation, as it's a big project. It will eventually reach way over 50,000, I'm sure, but it's the starting that needs to be kicked into action. I'll keep you posted on how it is going.

So, anyone else entering NanoWriMo this year, and have you started planning? It's never too early.


4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking of entering Nanowrimo this year too! I'm still not sure though. I'd quite like a go at writing an adult novel and this would mean I could give it a go without spending two years of my life only to find out it doesn't work. Need to think of an idea though... if I can think of an idea, we'll have to keep each other accountable by e-mail or something.

    I don't know who Peter Brett is but I remember how excited you were last time and he does sound very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds exciting, Chloe :) That's part of the reason I'm using this idea for Nano, because it's a fantasy and I've never done that before. It may not work...
    Definitely have to keep each other in the loop if you do decided to do it. I think it'll be a lot of fun.
    I do harp on about the man rather a lot, I know. He is a genius, though.
    Nari X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice posting, what I am exactly searched is available in your website. Thanks Bye

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all I'm pleased to see that you've got a routine worked out for your blogging activity. I tried twice a week which over a few months has reduced to less than one a week. I like to think quality rather than quantity is important. You on the other hand have about 20 more people following yours!
    On the NaNoWriMo I've decided to give it a go. I travel to work by train four days a week so it looks like it'll be the time to get onto the meat of it.
    For inspiration before I start I'm going to trawl through the 700+ poems I've written over the last three years. Amongst my poetic genre I write thrillers, adventure, romance and a whole lot more so something must jump out at me.

    ReplyDelete