Pages

About Me

My photo
I am an aspiring writer living and working in Hull. I working on a novel, as well as writing short stories to keep my writing skills fresh. I decided to start a writing blog to connect with other writers. So please, take a look around and leave some comments - I'd love to read some of your writing blogs too. Nari X

Friday 10 August 2012

Foody Fridays: Grandma's Garlic Potatoes



I have attempted to recreate my Grandma’s famous potato side-dish, since I was unable to find a recipe in amongst all her cookbooks. It is really simple, and a good alternative to roast potatoes.

Garlic Potatoes

Ingredients:
3 or 4 medium sized potatoes, peeled
300ml of vegetable stock
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
2 cloves of garlic, crushed and finely chopped
½ teaspoon rosemary or sage
Pepper to season






Method:

1.  Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/220°C.
2. Thinly slice the potatoes so they are roughly half a centimetre thick, then lay them out in a casserole/oven-proof dish. They should be slightly overlapping each other.
3. Make up the stock and pour it over the potatoes, making sure they are not swimming.
4. To make the garlic butter, mix together the margarine, garlic and rosemary, then drop several spoonfuls over the potatoes, so that it will cover them all when it melts.
5. Season with pepper to taste, then place high up in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until  most of the liquid is gone and the potatoes are starting to crisp on top.


 Please let me know what you think. Also, any feedback on the format or phrasing of the recipe would be appreciated. Thanks, and enjoy!



 Next Week: Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

3 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome. I'll give it a go sometime. The husband loves garlic. Also, I love getting recipes from other young-marrieds as they serve two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try that one Nari, cheers. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool let me know what you think. Yeah recipes for two are hard to find. The thing was, when I cooked this for four of us (my parents too), I had to really concentrate on how to make enough!

    Nari X

    ReplyDelete