Pages

About Me

My photo
I am an aspiring writer living and working in Hull. I working on a novel, as well as writing short stories to keep my writing skills fresh. I decided to start a writing blog to connect with other writers. So please, take a look around and leave some comments - I'd love to read some of your writing blogs too. Nari X

Thursday 30 December 2010

A very Quick Update


I hope everybody had a lovely Christmas. This year was my first hosted Christmas - and I have to say, all in all, it went quite well.  


Our starter was a baked Camenbert with flower-shaped brocolli stalk, carrot sticks and olive ciabatta (from Madisons) to dip. Then I made squash and sage pies for me and Mum (the veggies), Dad brought a chicken dish for the carnivores (he and Heather), and I did roast parsnips, roast new potatoes, carrots and peas, I think. Oh and Yorkshire puds. It worked well, considering how shocking our oven is. Still being in a student house, what more is to be expected? I forgot the stuffing, which, in all fairness, would not have fitted in the oven or on our plates. Rob and I had some with the leftovers on the 27th, and it was very good. From Madisons, of course. I love Madisons. It's on Newland Avenue, in case you fancy popping in. 

Oh and Dad loved his present, by the way. He was very impressed that I'd gone all the way to Doncaster and queued for an hour. Success!

I've been catching up on people's blogs, though I'll admit, I got distracted quite quickly by Hunter's most recent post. New music, I'm there. This is his new band, North Korea. It sounds good so far. I'm keeping my ears pricked up, though. I don't want to get into comparisons, because that's not really fair. I still don't know if Hunter is writing for them yet, though they'd be complete fools if he isn't. 

I realise I haven't posted here for a while - Rob and his laptop were in Chester, and I still have't fixed the internet on my own. Also, I've been a busy bumble bee. Firstly, of course, there was Christmas, but I've also been frantically trying to finish my manuscript. I believe it is now the 30th, so I have one more day remaining until Rob is expecting a draft. He's going to be strict. And here I am, blogging. So I'm afraid I'll be brief.

My Manuscript seems to be coming together. The gaps are slowly closing up. I have to say what has helped is doing chapter summaries, by suggestion of Tom, so thank you very much. This exercise has enabled me to see where the gaps are, or the continuity errors in terms of term time or weather. At one point, I had Ryan sitting at his open window in t-shirt and shorts at the latter end of November... now I know they're in the South, but really. Though it could open up a few character traits...

I'm worried, though, that so far I have just been re-writing scenes. There are still scenes which need to be written and I am rapidly running out of time. So I shall bid you Adieu. 




4 comments:

  1. Hi Nari,

    Your Christmas dinner sounds great, in fact I'm feeling quite hungry just reading about it, which in itself is quite surprising as I haven't stopped eating for the past week! Serious diet time in the New Year.

    Good look with your manuscript and I'm sure you will meet your deadline.

    Happy New Year to you Nari and I hope you have a very successful 2011.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Xmas dinner sounds impressive, Nari, well done! Don't worry about the re-writing, it's all part of the process and your manuscript will be all the better for it. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you :) Rob is currently on the third to last chapter, having set out to read just after lunch. I'm very impressed, and also terrified.
    Nari X

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your Christmas went well.
    If Rob does you and your efforts justice there will be good news and bad news. He has to be honest in his appraisal which means if there is something out of place it has to be mentioned. Not great for your ego, but excellent for the learning process and the finished / revised product.
    I would let him get on with the task. Argue your corner unless he's got you banged to rights on some point, then with a clear mind go on and edit. Once that is done, leave it totally alone for at least a week. No little tweaks, or quick checks. Then go back and read it through yourself with a notepad handy.

    ReplyDelete