Pages

About Me

My photo
I am an aspiring writer living and working in Hull. I working on a novel, as well as writing short stories to keep my writing skills fresh. I decided to start a writing blog to connect with other writers. So please, take a look around and leave some comments - I'd love to read some of your writing blogs too. Nari X

Sunday 31 October 2010

The Surge

I recently bought some Cranberry scented oil for my burner, and my bedroom smells like a sweet shop. It's lovely. I feel sixteen again. 
I also think the cranberry oil is seeping into my brain. I've been hyperactive up there.
The last two days have been phenomenally productive. Not just in terms of word count either. I've been rewriting some scenes, adding new ones, and filling in the gaps between scenes. 
I've been thinking a lot about character motivations and what brings them to make particular decisions, or gets them to a point in the story. It really is coming together so well, kind of at the detriment to everything else in my life. Well, not everything. 


I started writing this post a week ago. I think that says it well enough. 


I'm currently writing the climax scene. That's right, I have an ending. That's not to say I'm nearly done, by any stretch of the imagination. There are big gaps and chunks of unexplained, half-written scenes in the middle, but I at least know what I'm working towards. It's good, because all the half-thought threads of possible themes, decisions, dialogues and scenes are starting to come together and work towards something. 
No, I will not tell you what happens. 


I've also got a secret weapon, which I kind of stole from Peter Brett. I say kind of. I just got a shiny new phone, a Nokia E5 and it has Word on it. I've managed to get my entire novel onto it, and it hasn't even broken a sweat. This widens my ability to edit and to write. Fantastic for my writing career. Detrimental to my social life. I'm in bed, I write. I'm waiting for a bus, I write. On a bus, waiting for dinner to cook, walking to the shops, in a bank queue...


At the moment, I'm listening to U2 with the other half who is playing Mass Effect, looking forward to the last Single Father - tonight at 9:00 on BBC 1. So excited. 
I'm hooked on 24 at the moment too. Behind the times, I know. But I never got to watching it when it first started, and never had the time to catch up, so just getting into it now. Season 3, it's all very tense. 


Right now, I think I might write some more. Oh and just before I go, nobody has made any comments. I know people are reading, so please - let me know what you think, say hi, tell me I'm an idiot.



2 comments:

  1. Hi and You're an idiot.

    OK well you're not, but you said it!

    Your mind is a very interesting place to skulk around in

    So now that I've stalked your blog, your youwriteon AND have a key to your room, I'm assuming pre-release novel-reading privileges x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who let you in?
    First draft by Christmas is looking possible, so, as long as you promise to be gentle with me, I would value your input.
    Thanks for being my first comment :) Now I can stalk you right back hehehe.
    X

    ReplyDelete